Special Olympics come to town
Nov 23, 2012 / 3:17 pm
The inaugural Special Olympics BC (SOBC) Snow Sports Festival will take place in West Kelowna March 2-3, 2013.
This new competitive event will bring together Special Olympics athletes from B.C. and Alberta to race in alpine skiing events at Crystal Mountain Resort and cross-country skiing and snowshoeing events at Telemark Nordic Club.
The festival is expected to draw roughly 145 athletes from all over the province and over 100 athletes and coaches from Alberta.
Due to the sports cycle which operates on a four-year rotation involving regional qualifiers and Provincial, National and World games, the festival is a way for athletes to stay competitive who aren’t going to the World Games and may not have a chance to race in their sports this season.
Many of the competitors will be gearing up to compete in regional qualifiers in the 2013-14 winter season and hoping to advance to the 2015 SOBC Winter Games in Kamloops.
Volunteers are needed to stage the races and educational opportunities.
Anyone interested can contact Cari Henri at: 1-888-854-2276 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16
- Missing man located May 14
- Cops bust another West Kelowna grow May 14
- Pub staff and patrons become heroes May 13
- Creeks in West Kelowna remain stable May 13