Walmart reopens after fire
Nov 17, 2012 / 11:09 pm
The West Kelowna Walmart Superstore was forced to close early Saturday night after a small fire forced an evacuation of the store.
The fire was reported about 9:30 p.m. in the jewellery department.
West Kelowna fire officials say some paper caught fire after possibly being too close to some wiring.
An employee put the fire out using a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
The store was evacuated and remained closed for the rest of the night while firefighters properly ventilated the building.
There were no injuries.
Calls made to the West Kelowna Walmart Superstore confirm the store has reopened Sunday morning in its normal capacity. However an employee said no official statement can be made on the fire without district approval.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Flash mob prom date proposal Dec 4
- WFN awarded new forest licence Dec 4
- Chamber changes to board of trade Dec 3
- 'Mr. Sandman' goes above & beyond Dec 3
- Hockey kids collect for the Philippines Dec 3
- Sandman rescues drivers Dec 2
- Van takes a slide in West Kelowna Dec 2
- West Kelowna fire fighters tackle hunger Dec 1
- Boucherie road reopened after rollover Nov 27
- Chronic runaway still missing Nov 27