Walmart reopens after fire
Nov 17, 2012 / 11:09 pm
The West Kelowna Walmart Superstore was forced to close early Saturday night after a small fire forced an evacuation of the store.
The fire was reported about 9:30 p.m. in the jewellery department.
West Kelowna fire officials say some paper caught fire after possibly being too close to some wiring.
An employee put the fire out using a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
The store was evacuated and remained closed for the rest of the night while firefighters properly ventilated the building.
There were no injuries.
Calls made to the West Kelowna Walmart Superstore confirm the store has reopened Sunday morning in its normal capacity. However an employee said no official statement can be made on the fire without district approval.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Council knows 'one way' to save cash May 23
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16
- Missing man located May 14
- Cops bust another West Kelowna grow May 14
- Pub staff and patrons become heroes May 13