Gormans' 'lights out' at saving power
Oct 21, 2012 / 2:37 pm
Gorman Brothers Lumber in West Kelowna has won a Power Smart Excellence Award for their commitment to energy conservation and efficiency.
The organization was one of 27 BC based companies recognized by BC Hydro for the 2012 awards.
Gormans received the Power Smart Leader Award – BC Hydro’s highest level of customer recognition – for a best in-class approach to energy management.
The lumber company has incorporated energy management into every aspect of its business.
BC Hydro says from 2011 to 2012 Gorman Brothers saved 4.1 gigawatt hours of electricity, or enough to power 372 homes for a year.
They says the company tracks energy-efficiency as a key performance indicator and has a comprehensive employee engagement program across their multiple sites, ensuring staff are fully on board with energy reduction efforts.
The 2012 bi-annual Power Smart Excellence Awards recognize 27 winners in 11 categories.
Since 2008, Power Smart has saved 3,400 gigawatt hours a year of electricity – enough to power 309,000 BC homes and BC Hydro’s business customers account for more than 60 per cent of annual Power Smart savings.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- West Kelowna teen located Jun 18
- Queen not welcome in West Kelowna Jun 18
- Lightning strike sparks wildfire Jun 17
- BC Motocross at Bear Creek Jun 16
- Burst tire sends woman, kids into lake Jun 15
- Brown bear spotted near Smith Creek Jun 15
- Fire brings back memories for residents Jun 15
- Gordon ready to take Clark to task Jun 14
- Premier: spill underlines BC's concerns Jun 13
- Dust devil in West Kelowna Jun 13