Findlater on fire over fuel accumulation
Sep 27, 2012 / 3:33 pm
A motion put forward by the District of West Kelowna was passed Thursday morning at the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) convention in Victoria.
The resolution seeks a province-wide wildfire protection program for both public and private lands.
WHEREAS the Province of British Columbia continues to experience wildfires due to effective fire suppression activities, drying weather trends and mountain pine beetle infestations on Crown, Public and Private lands.
AND WHEREAS the Province of British Columbia government
- commissioned the “Firestorm 2003 Report” (Filmon Report) to provide recommendations to prevent future wildfire events;
- and,provides limited funding for local governments to implement Community Wildfire Protection Plans on Crown and Public lands;
- does not provide funding for or require fuel mitigation works to be conducted on private lands leaving such regulation to individual local governments to establish, enforce and assume the liability associated with those programs:
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Union of BC Municipalities lobby the Ministry of Forest, Lands and Natural Resource Operations to enact provincial standards to ensure a province-wide comprehensive wildfire protection and works program is established, funded, executed and enforced for both private and public lands beginning with those lands at highest risk and immediately adjacent to residential areas.
“The problem communities are facing with forest fuel accumulation is simply not manageable at the local level,” says Mayor Doug Findlater.
"We don’t have close to the funding or resources that is needed to regulate private lands in this matter. The UBCM membership agreed, the province needs to take this concern in hand.”
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Castanet viewer captures truck fire May 24
- Most sportfields re-open in West Kel May 24
- New potable water station operational May 24
- Council knows 'one way' to save cash May 23
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16