Small grass fire hits West Kelowna
Aug 27, 2012 / 10:20 pm
West Kelowna fire crews were able to quickly extinguish a small grass fire at Boucherie Road and Ridge Estates Drive Monday night.
The fire broke out about 9:30 p.m.
Fire captain, Lyle Young says the call was originally for a grass fire approximately 10 feet by 10 feet.
"We had reports on the way that it had grown to approximately 20 feet by 20 feet. When we arrived it had grown to about 20 feet by 50 feet," says Young.
"We just put one line and extinguished it when we arrived and now we're just digging a guard around it and doing a little mop up."
It's far too early to determine how the fire started, however, Young speculated it could have been a discarded cigarette butt fanned by moderate winds.
Young says witnesses in the area saw a couple of kids in the field but believes they were trying to extinguish the fire.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16
- Missing man located May 14
- Cops bust another West Kelowna grow May 14
- Pub staff and patrons become heroes May 13
- Creeks in West Kelowna remain stable May 13