Property owners stung by fire
Aug 9, 2012 / 3:00 pm
Elliot Rd. grass fire-Aug. 8, 2012
A grass fire in West Kelowna will very likely sting a little bit for the men who started it.
Emergency crews were called to put out a fire in the 3400 block of Elliot Road around 2:30 p.m., Wednesday after a failed attempt at insect removal.
"A couple of guys were trying to get rid of a wasps nest," says RCMP Cst. Kris Clark. "They started the grass on fire by mistake."
The flames quickly spread to the adjacent property, scorching the field and burning the neighbour's fence.
Fire crews were able to bring the blaze under control and prevent any further damage to the two properties or any nearby structures.
The pair are not expected to face any charges, but the runaway fire is not without its costs.
"It looks like they will probably be paying for repairs to the fence," says Clark.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- DWK eyes downtown municipal hall Jun 19
- West Kelowna teen located Jun 18
- Queen not welcome in West Kelowna Jun 18
- Lightning strike sparks wildfire Jun 17
- BC Motocross at Bear Creek Jun 16
- Burst tire sends woman, kids into lake Jun 15
- Brown bear spotted near Smith Creek Jun 15
- Fire brings back memories for residents Jun 15
- Gordon ready to take Clark to task Jun 14
- Premier: spill underlines BC's concerns Jun 13