Fire watch update
Jul 31, 2012 / 8:05 am
Update, 8 a.m.: The fire near Wilson's Landing is approximately 75 per cent contained.
Fire Information Officer Michaela Swan says as of 3 a.m. Tuesday morning the fire area had not increased in size.
"Crews are continuing to action the hot spots."
Another update is expected at 9 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Castanet took a midnight tour along the Westside Road fire line Monday.
One of the crew told us they were concerned when winds started to pick-up around 5 p.m.., but luckily it seemed the winds drove the fire back on areas already consumed.
We did not see very many hot spots, with only a few glowing stumps. We watched several forestry attack crews work the lines. They had head-lamps on their hard hats and we could see the fire fighters bobbing through the dark woods.
The fire appeared very calm and the winds had died down.
Westside Road is open with one lane alternating, fire trucks and crews are working in the closed north side lane closest to the fire.
We will have an update on the fire size and the plan of attack as the information is made available.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16
- Missing man located May 14
- Cops bust another West Kelowna grow May 14
- Pub staff and patrons become heroes May 13
- Creeks in West Kelowna remain stable May 13