Hard luck scam hits West Kelowna
Mar 20, 2012 / 10:37 am
A popular scam is rearing its ugly head in West Kelowna once again.
It's called the 'Hard Luck Hoax,' in which someone knocks at a door asking for money because he or she is having car trouble.
Cst. Kris Clark, says a man in his early 20s has been using the scam in the Rhinestone Road area of West Kelowna.
Clark says the suspect apparently knocked on a door in the 2500 block of Rhinestone Road Monday claiming to be the victim's neighbour and asking for money because he was having car trouble.
"The victim knew the man was not his neighbour and was aware that he had already scammed other local residents," says Clark.
The man refused and sent the suspect on his way.
Clark says people should not fall for this hard luck scenario if they are approached in a similar manner.
"Scammers will continue to sell their deceit as long as people are willing to buy it," adds Clark.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Most sportfields re-open in West Kel May 24
- New potable water station operational May 24
- Council knows 'one way' to save cash May 23
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16
- Missing man located May 14