West Kelowna News
Westside Farm Loop blooms
Round up your friends, fill up the car, grab a map and discover the farms along the Westside Farm Loop!
A new initiative by farmers in West Kelowna gives agricultural enthusiasts a chance to drive along a trail of local farms providing locally grown and produced delicacies along the way.
Paynters Fruit Market held the opening event Thursday in West Kelowna and owner Jennay Oliver says this farm loop will be huge for local farmers.
“I am super excited about this. I think it is really important to get people knowledgeable about agriculture in our community,” says Oliver.
“It is also neat to show them how many farms we have in the area because a lot of them are off the highway and people would never have driven by these places. So it gives the public an opportunity to discover the amount of things we grow and produce and provide in our area”
The Farm Loop Map is now available and active and the farms are ready to welcome locals and tourists alike.
So far 15 farms are involved and are located on the map above. Each farm has something different from nuts, to fruits, to veggies and wine.
Offerings include picking seasonal fruits and berries, filling up your basket with honey and buying fresh organic produce and eggs right from the farm.
The following locations are included on the loop and labeled on the map above!
- GELLATY NUT FARM REGIONAL PARK
- HOURS: dawn to dusk, 7 days a week year round. Nut Sales are Sept – Nov 9 am – 4 pm daily.
- 2375 Whitworth Rd, West Kelowna, BC
- INGRAM FARMS (Honey)
- Open Daily year round
- 2660 Lower Glenrosa Road, West
- PAYNTERS FRUIT MARKET
- HOURS: 8 am – 8 pm, 7 days a week, July – October
- 3678 Paynter Rd, West Kelowna, BC
- WESTBANK CORNER FRUIT STALL
- HOURS: 8 am – 6 pm 7 days a week, end of June through to mid-October
- Corner of Elliott Rd and Solar Rd | West Kelowna, BC
- WESTBANK FARMERS’ MARKET
- HOURS: 8 am – 1pm, Saturdays, June 28 – September 13
- Corner of Main Steet (Hwy 97) and Elliott Rd, West Kelowna, BC (Westridge Shopping Centre)
- KALALA ORGANIC ESTATE WINERY
- HOURS: Open Daily 10 am - 6 pm Apri thru Oct, 11 - 5 pm Nov - March
- 3362 Glencoe Road, West Kelowna, BC
- WESTBANK HARVEST
- HOURS: 8 am - 2 pm, Monday – Saturday, year round
- 2654 Scharf Rd, West Kelowna, BC
- U-PICK Strawberries (Opening in 2015)
- RABBIT HOLLOW
- HOURS: open for scheduled events and classes as well as for private and corporate bookings from May through October
- 3607 Paynter Rd, Westbank, BC
- GRIFFIN FARMS
- HOURS: 9 am – 6 pm, Monday – Saturday. Closed Sundays. July 15 – October 15.
- 3344 Elliott Rd, West Kelowna, BC
- LAZY U FARM
- Hours: During picking season – July to September – phone ahead to book a picking time or take your chances! Most days open at 8:00 am
- 3081 Elliott Rd, West Kelowna, BC
- GIDDA FARMS
- HOURS: 7 am – 7 pm, 7 days a week, early spring to late autumn
- 3175 Smith Creek Road
- MOUNTAIN VALLEY FARM
- HOURS: Wed- Fri, 1 pm – 5:30 pm, Sat 1:30 to 5:30 pm , late May – October
- 2010 Bartley Rd, West Kelowna, BC
- SWEET PEAS LITTLE FARM
- HOURS: 8 am – 6 pm 7 days a week, early spring to late autumn
- 907 Douglas Rd, West Kelowna, BC
- PETTERSON SUPERNATURAL HORSE & FARM TOUR
- Hours: by appointment
- 674 Petterson Road, West Kelowna, BC
In addition, if you are wondering when your favourite Okanagan harvest is going to be at a market near you here are the Blossom and Harvest Dates for the Central Okanagan area.
Blossom: April 10 – April 25
Harvest: July 20 – August 10
Harvest: July 14 – August 15
Harvest: August 6 – August 31
Blossom: April 20 – May 7
Harvest: July 1 – August 1
Blossom: April 20 – May 2
Harvest: July 25 – Sept 1
Blossom: April 25 – May 10
Harvest: August 15 – Sept 30
Blossom: April 28 – May 10
Harvest: August 15 – Sept 10
Blossom: May 15 – May 20
Harvest: August 15 – Oct 30
September to Beginning of November
September – October
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Rain floods KamloopsKamloops - 3:00 pm
- 3 family members killed in crashCentral Okanagan - 2:59 pm
- Crime rate falls 13 per centKelowna - 11:46 am
- Arnie dancing with angelsKelowna - 1:50 pm
West Kelowna Discussion Forum
Central Okanagan Regional District
West Kelowna Discussion Forum
District of Peachland
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library