The Westbank Lions' Club is undertaking a massive fundraising campaign to raise monies to upgrade their hall.
The Westbank Lions Hall suffered more than $1M damage during a fire September 1 of last year.
Kerry Robert Cooper has pled guilty to arson in connection with that fire. He is expected to be sentenced July 3.
The hall was built by residents of Westbank in 1928 and opened in 1929. It then underwent extensive repairs in 1975.
In 1980, work began to move the hall from Main Street frontage to its present location. Renovations and an addition were completed six years later.
It stood that way until last year's fire.
While insurance is looking after basic reconstruction, club president Wayne Atkinson says the club would like to do a number of necessary improvements not covered by insurance that will "enhance the building for public use."
"The fire at the hall gives us the opportunity to improve the facilities," said Atkinson.
"Unfortunately, these improvements are not covered by insurance and we need to raise funds to cover their costs. If realized, the hall will be a much enhanced, more versitile and accessible facility."
The estimated cost of these upgrades is $400,000.
In all, 18 different projects are desired by the club.
- Replacement of flooring on main floor
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the building
- Replace all main floor lights
- New and improved washrooms on the main floor
- Security system including cameras
- Automated access ramp doors
- Replacement of front facing windows to give a constant appearance to the building
- New computer for billboard sign on Main Street
If you, your family, business or organization would like to sponsor one or more of the items, email Jack Lucas firstname.lastname@example.org or Malcolm Sutherland email@example.com for more information.
Donations can be made in three ways.
- Direct deposit to Westbank Lions' Community Development Society account at CIBC on Louie Drive
- Mail to Westbank Lions' Community Development Society, #1-2466 Main Street, Westbank BC, V4T 1Z1
- Mail or drop off at Westbank Lions' Hall Fundraising Campaign c/o UPS Store, 22-2475 Dobbin Road Suite 333, West Kelowna BC, V4T 2E9.
Cheques should be made payable to WLCDS Hall Fundraising.
Receipts will be issued for tax purposes.