UPDATE 6:20 P.M.
"A working smoke alarm in the home helped to alert the residents to the fire. The smoke alarm in the home was installed by West Kelowna Firefighters during a smoke alarm campaign conducted in the mobile home park in 2013," shares West Kelowna Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Chief Darren Lee.
A fire forced two residents out of their home Monday afternoon in the Westgate Village Mobile Home Park.
“The call started as a dryer fire, but as fire crews were arriving it was upgraded to a structure fire as the fire had extended out of the dryer and was starting to impact the wall behind it,” explained West Kelowna Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Chief Darren Lee.
Both adults in their 60's were able to get out of the home unharmed, but the smoke damage is too severe to be able to return home anytime soon.
“The definitely will not be able to return to the home right away because of the smoke damage in there, we don't want someone sleeping in the house like that because the smoke is poisonous,” says Lee.
Lee says the flames caused fire damage in both the laundry room and part of the kitchen with smoke damage throughout the home.
The pair who lived in the home will be put up in a hotel tonight and they will be working with Emergency Social Services. Fortunately, Lee says, they did have insurance.
After the fire was fully contained crews donned masks and went back into to retrieve insurance papers and vital medication for the homeowners.
Lee urges people to keep dryers clean.
“Regular maintenance of your dryer is very important. Making sure your lint trap is clean and if you have any issues with sudden turns or sharp turns in your dryer vent hose, making sure that is clean as well.”