According to the B.C.'s Children's Hospital, two-thirds of all fireworks injuries to children in Canada happen in BC — and of those, almost 90 per cent occur around Halloween.
Each year in Vernon, illegal fireworks keep our emergency services busy and distracted from their primary responsibility of keeping the City safe. Vernon Fire Rescue Services wants your Halloween night to be safe, fun and incident free.
Did you know it is illegal, in the City of Vernon, to possess sell or discharge fireworks without a permit and that you could be fined from $500 to $1000 if caught doing so.
Check for the times when local fire departments will be putting on their annual displays and enjoy the spectacular shows they put together without risking any injury or damage to property.
Click here for the The Fireworks Bylaw.
Here are some relevant items people should be aware of from the Bylaw:
- No person may sell fireworks or firecrackers in the city.
- No person may buy, sell, hold, store, discharge or otherwise use any firecrackers or prohibited fireworks.
- No person may be issued a permit except if they are a licensed fireworks supervisor for the purpose of storage, explosion and discharge of fireworks.
- No person may point, direct or throw fireworks at any person, animal, building or other property.
- No person may discharge fireworks within 100 metres of a location where flammable materials are stored, including gas stations, propane holding tanks, and lumber yards