Vernon and North Okanagan
Court martial over sex charges begins
Oct 15, 2012 / 6:40 am
A court martial is expected to begin today at CFB Esquimalt, west of Victoria, as a cadet instructor faces several charges.
Captain Daniel Moriarity is accused of sexual exploitation, sexual interference and sexual assault.
The charges involve two cadets, a 16 year old girl and a boy who was 15 when the alleged assaults began.
Investigators say the attacks allegedly occurred between 2008 and 2011, at the Vernon army camp in the North Okanagan and at the Lt. Gen. Ashton Armoury in Victoria.
Moriarity was deputy commanding officer of the more than 3,000 member army cadet corps before his arrest.
He is also facing a military charge of behaving in a disgraceful manner.
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Driver in crash blows 3x over limit Jun 18
- Foothills' trash attracts problem bear Jun 18
- Tolko responds to teen's death Jun 18
- 'Greeks' investigation team honoured Jun 18
- Trap catches speeders Jun 17
- Two men sought after late night crash Jun 17
- Lavington mill death - teen ID'd Jun 17