Vernon and North Okanagan
E. coli in cheese kills 1
Sep 17, 2013 / 3:30 pm
3:30 p.m. update: One person has died and three people were hospitalized after eating products from Gort’s Cheese of Salmon Arm that were tainted with E. coli, health authorities have confirmed.
The BC Centre for Disease Control, along with Interior Health has issued a public alert to avoid consuming any cheese products from Gort's Gouda Cheese Farm and anyone with this product should dispose of it immediately.
It’s believed this cheese product is distributed throughout the province, and the farm operator has agreed to halt any further shipments and stop selling at its farm.
Anyone that has recently eaten this product within the past 10 days and is feeling sick or suffering from diarrhea, should immediately contact a doctor.
The illnesses began in July, but the majority of infected people did not display symptoms until late August or early September.
E.coli (Escherichia coli)
- A germ, or bacterium, that infects the digestive tract of animals.
- There are many types of E. coli, and most of them are harmless. But some can cause severe illness, even death.
- E. coli O157:H7 can cause stomach cramps and mild to severe diarrhea that can be bloody.
- Symptoms start two to 10 days after exposure to the bacteria, and usually last between five to 10 days.
For more information on E. coli and its health risks, visit the BCCDC website.
If you have become sick after eating the cheese please contact [email protected]
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Push ups to save wife's teeth Dec 5
- Water main break in Vernon Dec 5
- Lumby RCMP looking for volunteers Dec 5
- Enderby home destroyed by fire Dec 4
- Vernon man stabbed in his home Dec 4
- Salmon Arm home invasion Dec 3
- Icy roads keep Salmon Arm RCMP busy Dec 3