Vernon and North Okanagan
Woman killed crossing Vernon street
Sep 8, 2013 / 5:22 pm
5:20 p.m. Update: Highway 97 Northbound has reopened 200 m south of Junction with Highway 6.
11:48 a.m.: A serious accident involving a semi and a pedestrian on Hospital Hill near Polson Park in Vernon Sunday had Hwy. 97 closed for several hours today.
According to eyewitnesses, a 33-year-old Vernon woman ran into traffic and, although the driver of the semi swerved to avoid her, was struck and killed.
Highway 97 northbound remains closed 200m south of Highway 6 junction.
Estimated time of opening is between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
Detour available via 16th Avenue, Mission Road and 25th Avenue.
-With files from Melissa Ligertwood.
Send photos and video to [email protected]
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Silver Star's own 'Running of the Bulls' Dec 11
- Hwy. 1 reopens near Salmon Arm Dec 10
- Water main breaks in Vernon Dec 10
- Firefighters kept busy in Vernon Dec 8
- Dumpster fires continue to be a problem Dec 8
- RCMP files from Lumby Dec 7
- Stolen goods & drugs seized; 3 arrested Dec 6