Vernon and North Okanagan
Vandals target murdered teen's trail
Sep 6, 2013 / 6:42 am
Vandalism along a trail that commemorates a murdered 18-year-old Armstrong, woman has sparked outrage in the small community.
One of two sculpted angels in the memorial path that honours Taylor Van Diest, who was murdered on Halloween night in 2011, has been smashed.
The damage was discovered by Van Diest's mother Marie last week.
Police believe the culprit may not be a local, as the vandalism occurred at the same time as the Interior Provincial Exhibition, which drew in many people from out of town.
The memorial path follows the route taken by Van Diest before she was beaten and left for dead near some railway tracks.
Twenty-seven-year old Matthew Foerster has been charged with her murder.
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Silver Star's own 'Running of the Bulls' Dec 11
- Hwy. 1 reopens near Salmon Arm Dec 10
- Water main breaks in Vernon Dec 10
- Firefighters kept busy in Vernon Dec 8
- Dumpster fires continue to be a problem Dec 8
- RCMP files from Lumby Dec 7
- Stolen goods & drugs seized; 3 arrested Dec 6