Vernon and North Okanagan News
Speeding cars impounded
It was a need for speed kind of weekend in the North Okanagan, as the RCMP impounded six vehicles on Highway 97 near Vernon.
Each of the cars pulled off the road were clocked at speeds ranging between 48-83 km over the posted speed limit.
Five of the vehicles were licensed to BC drivers, says Gord Molendyk of the Vernon RCMP, including:
- 19-year-old man from the Vernon area
- 65-year-old man from the Vernon area
- 17-year-old woman from the Vernon area
- 2 other male drivers from BC
- 1 male from Alberta driving a 2015 BMW
Molendyk says the 19-year-old even turned in his radar detector to an officer, commenting that he didn’t want it anymore because it did not seem to help.
The RCMP are asking everyone to slow down. Even with speed limits set to increase south of Vernon this fall, 80 per cent of their excessive speed traffic stops would still result in impounds.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- All candidates forum comingKelowna
- Truck thief quickly nabbedPenticton / S. Okanagan
- Bobbitt hearing adjournedPenticton / S. Okanagan
- Development builds protestKelowna
Vernon Discussion Forum
District of Coldstream
Village of Lumby
City of Armstrong
City of Enderby
District of Sicamous
Okanagan Regional Library