Vernon Fire crews rushed to the scene of a truck on fire early Monday afternoon in Vernon.
Fire Captain Doug Imrich says the truck owner's wife had gone shopping and got back in the vehicle shortly after. When she started the ignition, it caught on fire.
Crews were called at 12:56 p.m. to the parking lot of the Anderson Way Plaza.
“When we arrived there was a 1989 GMC truck fully engulfed at the cab portion,” says Imrich.
Crews began battling the flames and quickly realized it was a more dangerous fire than it appeared as it was a propane-conversion truck. The owner was not sure how much propane was still in the truck as they had not used that part of the car for some time - a danger for crews as they didn't know what they were dealing with.
“It quickly became a propane fire, once it burnt the engine it melted the propane line and any propane in the tank caught on fire,” explains Imrich. “It took a while to find the propane shut off but once we found it we got the fire under control quickly.”
Imrich says crews were able to put out the fire in 20 minutes.
There was no damage to nearby vehicles as cars parked near the truck were moved before fire crews arrived. The truck itself is a complete write-off.
The fire is not suspicious in nature and is still under investigation, but crews believe it was something in the engine.