Vernon and North Okanagan News
Canada Day fun in Vernon
Polson Park is the place to be in the North Okanagan on July 1 as the Greater Vernon area celebrates Canada's 147th birthday.
Canada Day events runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with formal ceremonies beginning at 1 p.m., including the unveiling of Vernon Councillor Patrick Nicol's memorial. '
Dignitaries will include Mayor Rob Sawatzky, MLA Eric Foster, Citizen of the Year Brian Jackson and Queen Silver Star Cheyenne Krog.
Councillor Nicol’s brother, John Nicol, will also be on hand to see his brother's memorial revealed. The memorial was voted on by council after Nicol passed away from cancer earlier this year.
The committee chose an area of Polson Park, near the bandshell, where Nicol lead Canada Day festivities for decades.
Other activities taking place at Polson Park include an opening prayer from a member of the Okanagan Indian Band, face painting, live music, food vendors and birthday cake.
If you want to stay on the north end of town Davison Orchards is also putting on a fabulous day of all Canadiana fun!.
From 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. the orchard is hosting a pancake breakfast featuring Davison Orchard’s specialty Apple Pancakes and Apple Cider Syrup along with sausages and apple juice.
Tractor Mac, the adventurous tractor in the popular kids’ book series will be at the farm for photos and story time a 10:30 a.m.
For all the details check out their full schedule here.
Later on that day back in south Vernon Canada Day evening events, including fireworks, will be held between 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. at the DND grounds, located between Hwy. 97 and Mission Road, one kilometre south of Vernon.
The event will feature musical performances by the Legendary Lake Monsters and a family movie followed by the fireworks at approximately 10:30 p.m.
Vernon Fire-Rescue Services, with assistance from BX, Swan Lake and Coldstream Fire Departments, and the Ministry of Forests suppression crew will be onsite to determine if the conditions are safe for fireworks, and viewers are asked to respect the security perimeters established for public safety.
The City of Vernon reminds residents that entrance to the grounds from Hwy. 97 is one-way only, and all traffic following the event must exit via Mission Road. It is expected there will be some congestion and drivers are asked to be extra cautious, allow for plenty of time and watch carefully for pedestrians throughout the site.
Citizens attending the fireworks are reminded to leave pets at home, and to bring a jacket, blankets, lawn chair, radio, flashlight and snacks.
Polson Park event schedule.
- 10:00 am - Opening Prayer - Local Elder
- 10:05 - 10:25 am - The Pow Wow Dancers
- 10:30 - 10:55 am - Sadok Ukranian Dancers
- 11:00 - 11:40 am - Melina Schein Moore (Classical)
- 11:45 - 12:25 pm - Lee Dinwoody (Country)
- 12:30 - 12:50 pm - Rick Shadow (Magician)
- 12:50 - 1:05 pm - Kal Highlanders Pipe Band
- 1:05 - 1:25 pm - National Anthem - sung by Justin Moore
- - Introduction of Vernon Dignitaries
- - Presentation by Mayor Rob Sawatsky to John Nicol in honour of Patrick Nicol 'Mr. Canada Day'
- - FREE Canada Day Cake & Maple Sugar Cookies
- 1:30 - 2:10 pm - Kath and the TomKats (Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock)
- 2:20 - 3:00 pm - The Keys (Honky Tonk Rockin' Blues)
- 3:10 - 3:50 pm - Jesse Mast & Ben Klick (Country)
- 4:00 - 4:40 pm - Amistad (Alternative Rock)
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Dog kicker to donate moneyBC - 3:17 pm
- No opposition to downtown hotelKelowna - 11:23 am
- Bank robbed, evacuatedKelowna - 3:10 pm
- Crash on Highway 97Central Okanagan - 10:54 am
Vernon Discussion Forum
District of Coldstream
Village of Lumby
City of Armstrong
City of Enderby
District of Sicamous
Okanagan Regional Library