UPDATE 10:00 A.M. FEB 4
Coldstream Fire Chief Shane Code confirms that the fire was caused by a backyard campfire that wasn't entirely put out.
Code says investigators finalized their work this morning.
Fire Investigator in this case Lawrie Skolrood spoke with Castanet on Monday and said at that time the campfire was the likely culprit.
"There was some latent ash that was not totally put out that ignited the garage," said Skolrood. "The day before they had had the campfire. It is something that people have to be careful of, making sure that these campfires are completely out."
Skolrood says the garage was pretty much destroyed, as were the items in it. Which included two vehicles, a boat and a couple of motorcycles.
Fortunately the family does have insurance.
"Nobody is at fault, no one was in the building, and no one in the area at the time of the fire," added Skolrood.
By Amy Shelling
5 p.m. Update:
At approximately 2:10 p.m. today, fire crews responded to a residential fire on Northcott Drive, just off Aberdeen Road in Coldstream.
Witnesses reported seeing heavy flames engulfing the south-eastern corner of a garage, about 30 meters by 40 meters in size. Fortunately the main house was located far enough away and firefighters were able to contain the blaze.
“By the time we arrived on scene we took what is called a defensive approach, which means we’re basically looking at it as a loss,” said Fire Chief Shane Code.
“It was a heavy fire with multiple tiny explosions with anecdotal reports from the gentleman at the home that there could be ammunition or combustibles inside.”
An 18 year-old male, a member of the family renting the main home, was in the garage during the fire, but he got out safely.
“With the variety of explosions over the course or five to ten minutes unrelenting, we held back and took a very defensive position at the corners of the house from the structure itself, providing us with some protection. We waited until basically we didn’t hear any more explosions.”
The fire has now been contained and is cooling off.
“We’re keeping it cool and safe, with the gas and steam that come off it is fairly toxic. Anything in a garage is not good.”
Send photos and video to firstname.lastname@example.org
3:30 p.m.: A garage, behind a home on Aberdeen Road, burned to the ground Saturday afternoon in Coldstream.
An 18-year-old was in the structure at the time, but he was able to escape without injury.
The fire started just after 2 p.m., crews are still on the scene battling the blaze and a few streets in the area are blocked off.
The smoke and flames could be seen for several kilometres.
We have a reporter on location and we will have more details as they become available.
Send photos, video and information to email@example.com.