Vernon and North Okanagan News
Animal nest gets car smoking at ski hill
Silver Star fire crews put out a smouldering fire in a Kelowna couple’s car Saturday morning.
Silver Star Fire Lieutenant Beau Lucas says the couple drove from Kelowna up the mountain that day, and the heat of the drive caused a suspected animal nest on the engine to ignite.
Lucas says he was fortunately able to put out the embers with a fire extinguisher before it got any worse, preventing the engine from catching on fire.
When the fire was put out they noticed that there was a pile of smouldering leaves similar to those of an animal's nest.
Lucas says this time of year, especially if your car is not constantly driven, you need to do a full inspection before hitting the road.
Check your brakes, fluid, tires, belts, and look for any unwanted visitors using your vehicle as an escape from the cold.
If you saw this fire or others, send pictures and video to [email protected]
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Chute Lake Rd. fireKelowna
- Coquihalla opensKamloops - 6:28 am
- Fire destroys houseVernon / N. Okanagan
- Quad crash hospitalizes oneKelowna
Vernon Discussion Forum
District of Coldstream
Village of Lumby
City of Armstrong
City of Enderby
District of Sicamous
Okanagan Regional Library