Anxious about Asia?
I’ve had many clients express interest in travelling to exotic destinations but who similarly express concerns as to culture shock, language barriers and overall health issues. Always one to help my clients embrace new adventures, I wholeheartedly suggest they consider the comfort zone of the Exotic River Cruise experience.
Avalon Waterways provides exquisite itineraries to some of the most fascinating places on Earth. One of my favourites is the 7 day Mekong River Cruise between Siem Reap in Cambodia (home to Angkor Wat) and Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Operating both North and Southbound the itinerary showcases the highpoints of Vietnamese culture and Cambodian history.
Mekong River Cruise
The Mekong River offers an opportunity for travellers to learn about new cultures and experience a different way of life. From ancient temples to modern palaces and from traditional villages to bustling cities, the Mekong boasts an experience like none other. Explorers will delight in the mix of new languages, traditions and lifestyles as they cruise down this mighty river, while nature lovers are sure to enjoy the sunsets and scenery offered along the way. At the end of the journey, travelers will have an in-depth understanding of life along the river and the people who depend on it.
- The picturesque Mekong Delta - 15,000 square miles of rice paddies, fish farms, fruit orchards and more.
- Cai Be – home to the large busy floating market.
- Phnom Penh – capital city of Cambodia. Once known as the Pearl of the Orient, she is now best known for the scourge and legacy of the Khmer Rouge and the sad testament of the Killing Fields.
- Siem Reap – gateway to Angkor Wat which are considered to be the most incredible ruins on Earth.
Experience this spectacular adventure from the safety and comfort of the luxurious Avalon Siem Reap. Built in 2014 and specifically designed to offer an intimate ambience to only 36 passengers at a time, the ship mixes modern comforts with the colonial charm of both the Vietnamese and Cambodian culture. Specifically designed with all cabins opening to the outdoors as well as an open air observation deck which effectively offers incredible panoramic views. The Avalon Siem Reap is also the only ship capable of sailing the entire way from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap thereby saving their guests the 7 hour motorcoach transfer that the other companies have to do. All shore excursions are included with English speaking guides as well as your meals and entertainment.
Avalon Waterways have further broadened the Mekong experience by including 3 day pre and post extensions in both Ho Chi Minh and Siem Reap to extend your vacation into a truly relaxing and immersible 13 day adventure. For those of you wish more time, they also offer additional options.
- 4 day in Hanoi & Halong Bay
- 5 days in Luang Prabang, Laos
- 2-4 days in Bangkok
2015 pricing starts at $4119 CAD pp for the 13 day land/cruise package. *** Book an Avalon Waterways Exotic river cruise before June 24th and receive a 5% discount!!
Read more The Joy of Travel articles
- Melbourne: City of lights & festivals Aug 20
- Amazing castle stays Jul 30
- Uncertain future of Malaysia Airlines Jul 23
- Pros and cons of all inclusives Jul 16
- Pack like a pro! Jul 9
- The Peninsula Paris Jul 2
- Cabo San Lucas - explore! Jun 25
- Anxious about Asia? Jun 18
(Click for RSS instructions.)