Canucks down Rangers
Sep 26, 2013 / 10:22 pm
Henrik Sedin scored two goals as the Vancouver Canucks blanked the New York Rangers 5-0 in NHL exhibition action Thursday night.
Henrik Sedin's goals, his first of the pre-season, came as he and twin brother Daniel celebrated their 33rd birthday. The Canucks finished the pre-season with a 2-4-0 record.
The Rangers saw their pre-season record fall to 1-4-0 with one game still to play Friday in Las Vegas against the Los Angeles Kings.
Frank Corrado, Ryan Kesler and Hunter Shinkaruk also scored for the Canucks. Alex Edler supplied three assists.
Corrado's offence didn't help him because he was sent down to Utica of the AHL after the game.
Shinkaruk, an 18-year-old Calgary native who was one of Vancouver's two first-round draft choices this year, scored his second goal of the pre-season. Due to his age, he must go back to his Medicine Hat Tigers junior squad in the WHL if he does not last more than nine regular-season games with the Canucks. If he plays a 10th game, his entry-level NHL contract will kick in.
New York's Alain Vigneault and Vancouver's John Tortorella coached against their former teams for the first time. They were replaced with each other after being fired following last spring's playoffs. Moments before the opening face-off, the Canucks saluted Vigneault with "Welcome back Coach A.V." on the scoreboard screen. He looked up at the image of himself, gave a slight nod and then focused on the impending face-off.
Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo picked up his second win of the pre-season. He recorded 41 saves for his first shutout as the Rangers outshot the Canucks 41-20.
Vancouver built a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Henrik Sedin, on a power play, and Corrado, on a slapshot from the blue-line, and never looked back.
Rangers starting goaltender Henrik Lundqvist took the loss as he stopped 12-of-17 shots in two periods of work. Backup Martin Biron stopped just three shots in a scoreless third period.
Notes: The Rangers signed holdout centre Derek Stepan, their top scorer last season, to a new US$6.15-million, two-year contract. Stepan produced 18 goals and 26 assists last season. ... Canucks winger David Booth played his first game since suffering an ankle injury last March. Booth was scheduled to return Saturday in Edmonton, but he hurt his groin during the morning skate. He hit the post on a two-on-one with Biron beaten in the third period. ... Shinkaruk and fellow 2013 first-rounder Bo Horvat were the only Canucks who played all six of their club's exhibition contests.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Flames fall to Bruins in Jarome Iginla's return to Calgary
- Sabres hang on to clip Senators in shootout
- Flames honour former captain Jarome Iginla
- Kings crush Canadiens behind Martin Jones shutout
- Spurs rebound to thump depleted Raptors
- CBC Sports plays of the week
- Oilers overcome Hurricanes' comeback in OT
- Gary Bettman says no formal NHL expansion plans
- Bruins' Shawn Thornton has in-person hearing Friday
- Olympiakos, Leverkusen among last 16 in Champions League
- NHL board of governors satisfied with Brendan Shanahan
- Hurricanes will attempt to slow Oilers' Taylor Hall
(Click for RSS instructions.)