Severson returns to Rockets D
Sep 25, 2013 / 1:00 pm
The Kelowna Rockets have their full roster back in the fold as they get set to host the Victoria Royals Saturday at Prospera Place.
The Rockets roster was complete Wednesday when they learned defenceman Damon Severson was being sent back to the Rockets after an impressive training camp with the NHL's New Jersey Devils.
Missing now are defenceman Mitch Wheaton and forward Carter Rigby, both recovering from off-season shoulder surgery, however, both are with the club.
Severson, 19, was not eligible to play for the Devils farm team because of his age. The Devils either had to make room for him on the NHL roster or return him to the Rockets.
"It went really well and I think they were happy with the way I played," Severson stated Wednesday morning from New Jersey.
"I didn't feel out of place, but they obviously want to give me another year to mature in junior and I'm looking forward to getting back to Kelowna and helping my team."
Severson averaged nearly 20 minutes of ice time in each of his pre-season games with the Devils. He finished minus one at home and was a plus one in Montreal.
He said you never want to be released from a team but added coming back to Kelowna with the core group of players that are back from last year is a great feeling.
"I think we have a great opportunity in Kelowna this year," he said. "We have a lot of returning players that have an extra year of experience and have matured in the off-season. We have a team that meshes really well in Kelowna and I'm looking forward to getting back there."
Rockets assistant coach Dan Lambert said getting someone of Severson's calibre back on the blue-line is a huge addition to an already deep D core.
"Getting Damon back really solidifies our D core and gives us an experienced guy that can play key minutes in every situation," said Lambert.
Severson will arrive in Kelowna on Thursday and is expected to play Saturday when the Rockets host the Victoria Royals.
Myles Bell is also expected to make his 2013-2014 regular season debut with the Rockets Saturday.
Bell was returned to the Rockets from New Jersey's camp last Saturday, but did not suit up in a 5-2 win over Kamloops.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Raptors officially trade Rudy Gay to Kings
- Halladay to retire as Blue Jay
- Tyrann Mathieu's season over after tearing ACL
- Penguins' Brooks Orpik on IR with concussion
- Stampeders RB Jon Cornish wins Lou Marsh Award
- Canada officially entered in Olympic figure skating team event
- Jeff Skinner, Hall, Luongo named NHL's 3 stars
- Penguins' James Neal suspended 5 games for Marchand hit
- Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has torn ACL
- Ballon d'Or nominees: Ronaldo, Messi, Ribery
- Hurricanes rarely win in Vancouver
- Roy Halladay retiring after signing deal with Blue Jays
(Click for RSS instructions.)