Sun fizzles under Raiders onslaught
Sep 7, 2013 / 9:33 pm
New regime. New players. Same old result for the Okanagan Sun in Nanaimo.
The VI Raiders scored early - the Raiders scored late and in between, the Raiders scored in bunches in a 45-17 dismantling of the Sun Saturday.
Going back to the last game against Langley, the Sun defence has allowed 73 points in just five quarters of football.
The Raiders were a very different team than the one that was handled 17-3 at the Apple Bowl five weeks ago. So were the Sun.
Vancouver Island took the opening kickoff and ran the ball down the Sun's throat, marching 9 yards, all on the ground.
They closed things out with two late touchdowns to snuff out any hope of a Sun comeback.
Leading 31-17 in the dying moments the Raiders got a touchdown on an interception of a Cam Bedore pass and a quarterback option.
The Raiders built up a 17-0 lead at the half and stretched it to 24-0 early in the third quarter before the Sun finally got on the board.
Thomas Huber, who earlier hit the upright on a 15 yard field goal attempt hit from 14 yards out to get the Sun on the scoreboard.
On the following series the Raiders built their lead to 31-3 when Whitman Tomusiak hauled in his second touchdown pass of the game, a 26 yard strike off the option.
Early in the fourth Theo Dezar hit Dillon Fortune for a short touchdown and, after Daniel Ruddy recovered a blocked punt in the end zone, the Sun had two touchdowns in less than a minute, had cut the deficit to 14, and had hope.
They wouldn't get any closer.
Pending appeal of the opening game of the season the loss drops the Sun to 4-2, even with the Raiders a game behind the 5-1 Langley Rams.
The Raiders own the tie-breaker over the Sun by virtue of a better point differential in head-to-head meetings.
The Sun continue their three game road odyssey with games in Chilliwack and Kamloops the next two weeks before closing out the season with games at home against the same Chilliwack and Kamloops squads.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240M US deal with Mariners: report
- FIFA World Cup draw pits champion Spain vs. Netherlands
- American Ted Ligety shrugs off pressure in Olympic year
- Flames gunning for rare 3rd straight victory
- J.P. Arencibia, Rangers strike 1-year deal: report
- Gary Player kissed feet of Nelson Mandela in admiration
- Nelson Mandela inspired sports superstars
- Quads return to midget tourney
- Patrick Chan settles for silver in ISU Grand Prix Final
- Taylor Hall nets hat trick as Oilers shock Avalanche
- HNIC Radio: Steve Yzerman on Stamkos's recovery
- Maple Leafs drop Stars in OT, snap 5-game skid
(Click for RSS instructions.)