Huska agrees to three year extension
Aug 28, 2013 / 9:18 am
Ryan Huska will be behind the bench of the Kelowna Rockets for at least four more years.
The Rockets announced Wednesday morning they have agreed to terms with the coach on a new three-year contract extension.
The extension kicks in following the 2013-2014 season and will keep Huska under contract through the 2016-2017 season.
"We're thrilled to have Ryan signed long-term," says Rockets President/GM Bruce Hamilton.
"We understand and we encourage his goals to move along and advance his career. This ensures that he's going to be in Kelowna as long as he's coaching in the WHL."
Huska is entering his seventh season as the Rockets head coach and 12th year as a member of the Rockets' coaching staff.
This summer he added to an already impressive resume, which includes four Memorial Cup championships, by being inducted into the B.C. Hockey Hall of Fame as a player with the Kamloops Blazers.
Last year Huska led the Rockets to the WHL BC Division title, a franchise record 52 win season and a Kelowna-record 23 game home winning streak.
In six seasons behind the bench the Rockets have accumulated a 246-153-12-18 record.
He guided the team to two regular season BC Division titles, three second place finishes and a league title in 2009.
His teams in Kelowna have never finished below .500.
"I'm very thankful for the opportunity to have the contract extended," says Huska.
"I appreciate the opportunity to work with this organization and to work with the people I have over the years. I'm really excited for the opportunity we have here in the next couple of years. I'd like to thank the Hamilton family for their faith in me and our coaching staff."
Huska won three Memorial Cups as a player and then in 2004 was on the Rockets' bench as an assistant coach, winning his fourth championship.
Hea also won a silver and bronze medal as an assistant coach with Team Canada's World Junior Hockey team.
"What Ryan brings is more than just coaching," says Hamilton. "He's a quality person and he has surrounded himself with a quality coaching staff that are working their way to being in position to move up as coaches."
Huska and the Rockets will open up the WHL exhibition season this weekend, hosting the Kamloops Blazers on Friday night and playing in Kamloops on Saturday.
The Rockets home opener is Sept. 21.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Oilers open homestand with loss to Coyotes
- Senators defeat Panthers in Florida
- Ryan Kesler leads Canucks over Predators
- Jacoby Ellsbury agrees to 7-year deal with Yankees: report
- Blue Jays acquire C Kratz, pitcher Rasmussen from Phillies
- Sharks hand Maple Leafs 5th straight loss
- Wayne Gretzky, NHL reach settlement: report
- Lindsey Vonn cleared for downhill training at Lake Louise
- Alouettes promote Mark Weightman to club president, CEO
- New World Cup ball 'Brazuca' unveiled to honour Brazil
- Which NHL players' Movember moustache was best?
- Blackhawks' Patrick Kane named NHL's 1st star of the month
(Click for RSS instructions.)