Heat keeper keeps sheet clean again
Oct 21, 2012 / 12:31 pm
The UBC-Okanagan Heat women's soccer team continued its recent form of late by posting a 2-0 win over the Vancouver Island University Mariners.
Third year goalkeeper Christine Tallon of Kamloops earned her fifth shutout in just seven starts.
“We had moments of brilliance today,” says Head Coach Claire Paterson on her team’s win.
One such instance was in the second minute of play. Fourth year defender Jennifer Kidd fired a rocket from outside the box to put the Heat up by one.
UBCO put the game away when Vernon native Michelle Smith scored in the 65th minute.
The Heat improves to 7W-1L-5T and are firmly entrenched in second place in the PACWEST standings. The Mariners remain in seventh with the loss and now sit with a record of 2W-6L-5T.
They play their final regular season game Sunday and then will prepare for the PACWEST championships that begin Friday October 26 and run until Sunday in Squamish.
The men's squad received a late goal in the dying minutes of injury time from Sean Causier to allow the Heat to steal a point in a 1-1 draw against the 6th ranked Vancouver Island University Mariners.
"The guys continue to try and play football as we've asked them," says Heat Head Coach Dante Zanatta. "It's unfortunate that some of those bounces that we're getting now at the end of the year didn't come earlier in the year."
The Heat sit seventh overall in PACWEST with a record of 1W-7L-5T and will not make the playoffs.
They play their final game of the season at Nonis Field on Sunday against Capilano University.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us firstname.lastname@example.org for publication here.
- It's official, Canucks axe Vigneault
- Wharnsby: Senators may turn to Stone in Game 4
- Infographic: Senators, Penguins scoring hot spots
- Former Blue Jay Jose Canseco being accused of sexual assault
- Regehr: Man City, Yankees partnership a home run for MLS
- Canada's soccer team looking to add American-born Rachel Quon
- Canada's Eugenie Bouchard rolls into quarters in Strasbourg
- Former U.S. team stalwart Claudio Reyna to head new MLS team
- Tiger Woods calls Sergio Garcia comment 'hurtful'
- Gritty defenceman Andy Sutton officially retires from NHL
- Robinson: Ruling on long putters comes up short
- Brian Urlacher says he's retiring from NFL
(Click for RSS instructions.)