Heat volleyball looks to the future
Oct 6, 2012 / 9:15 am
The UBC-Okanagan Heat men's volleyball team has signed Chris Wilson from Earl Marriot Secondary School for the 2013-14 season.
The 6’7’’ Middle has impressed the Heat coaching staff both with his academic and athletic achievements during his high school career.
Head Coach Greg Poitras sees a lot of potential with his latest recruit.
"Chris is our earliest commitment we’ve ever had in the program. We are extremely excited that after weighing all the options he had that he decided to become a member of the Heat. At 6’7 [he] has huge upside in the middle position and possibly at the wing position down the road.”
Wilson says it was love at first sight.
“It’s the first university that I ever had the opportunity to visit, and from the first visit I could never think of school the same. It was a smaller school than what I imagined, with enough space to move around freely without feeling constricted."
Wilson has been selected as an All-Star at the AAA level multiple times so far during his high school career, as well as a Provincial All-Star for U18 club play.
He has a wealth of experience not only indoors but also on the beach, having placed second in the BC Summer Games, first at the Provincial Championships and third at Nationals.
Meanwhile, the Heat will finish their preseason with a game against the Trinity Western Spartans on Saturday, October 6.
The first Canada West action for UBC Okanagan will be Friday, October 26 in Kamloops against the Thompson Rivers WolfPack.
The following night the Heat will be home to the WolfPack, starting at 7:00 p.m., at the UBCO gymnasium.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us firstname.lastname@example.org for publication here.
- Craig Anderson's confidence spreads through team
- Bobcats owner Michael Jordan changing team name to Hornets: report
- Orlando hoping for some lottery Magic
- Watch & Chat: Blackhawks at Red Wings, Game 3
- Former NFLer Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Dickey, Encarnacion lead Blue Jays over Rays
- Rangers' John Tortorella staying positive
- Jose Mourinho won't coach Real Madrid next season
- Bryan Colangelo out as Raptors GM, offered corporate role: reports
- Anthony Gose back with Jays despite average triple-A stats
- Jack Nicklaus thrilled Chinese teen Tianlang will play Memorial
- Super Bowl L host to be determined Tuesday
(Click for RSS instructions.)