Warriors run into 'smokin' hot goalie'
Sep 22, 2012 / 8:30 am
The West Kelowna Warriors ran into a hot goaltender in Trail Friday night as the Smoke Eaters hung on for a 3-1 BCHL victory.
Despite taking an early lead, the Warriors fell behind in the second period and couldn't mount a comeback despite a furious third period rally.
Marcus Basara gave the Warriors a first period lead when he scored a powerplay goal seven minutes into the contest.
However, the Smokies found another gear in the second period and jumped ahead thanks to a powerplay marker from Brent Baltus and an even-strength tally from Jesse Knowler.
West Kelowna fired 17 shots on goal in the third period, but were unable to solve Lyndon Stanwood.
The Trail netminder made a handful of incredible saves, and was an easy choice as the game’s first star.
Making his BCHL debut, Knowler’s second goal of the game into an empty net sealed Trail’s victory with 10 seconds remaining.
Garrett Rockafellow started his first game of the season in the West Kelowna net. The former Victoria Grizzly had a solid outing, stopping 35 of the 37 shots he faced in the defeat.
Both teams ended the night at 1/5 on the powerplay.
“We gave ourselves a chance to win tonight” says Basara. “But for a full 60 minutes, we probably could have been better.”
He added the team was frustrated that they couldn't score in the third.
“Sometimes that happens when you have all the chances you need, and things just don’t cross the line. Sometimes you’ll get six goals, and sometimes you’ll be held to one.”
The Warriors will play Trail three more times in the next two weeks.
On Saturday night, the Warriors host the defending champion Penticton Vees at Royal LePage Place starting at 7:00.
--with files from Jon Zacks
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us firstname.lastname@example.org for publication here.
- Blackhawks look for breakthrough on Wings goalie Howard
- Sharks hope to wrest control of series from home-loving Kings
- Bruins want to show they have killer instinct to sweep
- OK Sun searching for billet homes
- Stanley Cup Stories: Penguins' stars burn Senators
- Watch & Chat: Blackhawks at Red Wings, Game 4
- Senators' Alfredsson on defeating Penguins: 'Probably not'
- Prolific Penguins put Senators in 3-1 series hole
- Orioles pitcher with 'best stuff' to face Blue Jays
- Top #hockeynight tweets from Wednesday
- Heat win on LeBron James's OT buzzer-beater layup
- Did You See That? Sidney Crosby continues to amaze
(Click for RSS instructions.)