New to the B.C. Football Hall of Fame
Sep 14, 2012 / 9:15 pm
Former CFL greats Al Wilson and Joe Kapp headed a lengthy list of inductees into the B.C. Football Hall of Fame on Friday.
"It's a lot to share with my teammates," said Wilson, a star centre with the B.C. Lions for 15 seasons, following a news conference at B.C. Place Stadium. "I love going in with the '85 team (also inducted). ... It's a time to share memories."
Wilson won his lone Grey Cup with that team in a 15-season CFL career spent exclusively with the Lions. The Kamloops, B.C., native earned seven consecutive West Division and CFL all-star selections between 1975 to 1981 and was also named the league's top centre in 1977.
Kapp guided the Lions to a Grey Cup win in 1964 before moving to the NFL and guiding the Minnesota Vikings to the Super Bowl. He was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame in 1984.
Former Lions By Bailey and Tom Hinton, who starred for B.C. during the 1950s and 1960s, were also inducted in the athlete category.
Late B.C., Winnipeg and Saskatchewan coach Cal Murphy and former UBC coach Frank Smith were inducted in the builder category along with former CFL president and interim commissioner Allan McEachern and former Lions team doctor Ken Appleby. Smith's 1982 Vanier Cup-winning UBC team also gained entry.
Other inductees included former Lions presidents Harry Spring (pioneer) and Jack Farley (CFL Bob Ackles Award), broadcasters Jim Cox and Bill Good Sr. (media) and longtime club band leader Dal Richards (B.C. Football Hall of Fame Special Award).
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us firstname.lastname@example.org for publication here.
- Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal win Italian Open
- R.A. Dickey, Blue Jays look to avoid sweep in New York
- Stanley Cup Stories: Jason Spezza a go, Wings rebound
- Logan Couture's OT goal lifts Sharks past Kings
- Pacers eliminate Knicks, will face Heat in East final
- MacKinnon bests Jones, leads Mooseheads over Winterhawks
- Whitecaps surrender late goal, settle for draw with Timbers
- David Beckham bids tearful farewell in Paris
- Robinson Cano cranks 2 homers in Yankees romp over Blue Jays
- Wharnsby: Jason Spezza ready to return for Senators
- Toronto FC falls flat against Crew
- Sharks fined $100K for GM's comments about Raffi Torres
(Click for RSS instructions.)