UBCO Heat win 1 lose 1
Jan 7, 2012 / 9:26 am
The UBC Okanagan Heat basketball teams returned to CIS action Friday night at home to the Manitoba Bisons.
The Women produced their second win of the season 74-61.
The Heat came on strong after a six-week break, continuing to build on their first win of the season on November 26 against the University of Brandon Bobcats and improving to 2-5.
Head Coach Heather Semeniuk used shorter shifts and strategy to her team’s advantage tonight, taking the Heat to 2-5 in conference play.
“I think tonight was an indication of how much they love the game. Getting back and playing the first game, they’re excited,” says Semeniuk. “It’s amazing to reach this point where we can say, ‘this is the league we’re playing in and who’s going to tell us that we can’t.’”
Roslyn Huber (4th year, Kelowna) with 24 points and Madison Kaneda (4th year, Vernon), with 16 led the way offensively.
Huber left game with an injury in the fourth quarter leaving her status for Saturday’s game is in doubt. The Heat play host to the University of Winnipeg Wesmen starting at 6 p.m. at UBC’s Okanagan campus.
The story was just the opposite for the men however, as they were thumped 80-65 by the visitng Bisons.
The Heat were unable to disrupt the high-scoring, up-tempo Bison team and now sit at 1-6 in conference play. The Bisons have won three in a row to improve to 5-4.
“I think that we left a lot of points off the scoreboard today that we should have finished,” says Heat assistant coach Matt Heyworth. “They were consistent in their scoring and we had droughts of 4 or 5 minutes where we didn’t score.”
The Heat host the University of Winnipeg Wesmen Saturday at 8 p.m. at UBC’s Okanagan campus.
Both the men's and women's games can be seen at canadawest.tv.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Curtis Granderson bolts Yankees for Mets: report
- 2014 FIFA World Cup groups
- John-Michael Liles promoted to Maple Leafs
- Canucks leaning on Ryan Kesler to open homestand
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240M US deal with Mariners: report
- FIFA World Cup draw pits champion Spain vs. Netherlands
- American Ted Ligety shrugs off pressure in Olympic year
- Flames gunning for rare 3rd straight victory
- J.P. Arencibia, Rangers strike 1-year deal: report
- Gary Player kissed feet of Nelson Mandela in admiration
- Nelson Mandela inspired sports superstars
- Quads return to midget tourney
(Click for RSS instructions.)