First victory of the season
Nov 27, 2011 / 10:08 am
No UBC Okanagan team will go winless in their CIS debut season as the Heat women’s basketball team joined other three team when the Heat defeated the University of Brandon Bobcats, 72-48, at UBC Okanagan, for their first victory. Both teams were winless heading into the match, with the Heat improving their record to 1-5 and Brandon will go into the semester break 0-8. The men’s basketball team won their first game of the season Friday night in their home opener versus Regina. Both of the volleyball teams notched their first wins on the season in their respective home openers back on October 28 against the Winnipeg Wesman.
The Heat powered through the first quarter with a 24-6 lead over the visiting team. This was the start of what became a sweep for the Heat, with them maintaining possession and composure of the ball as they battled the Bobcats.
The Bobcats began to battle back in the second but were still locked out by UBC Okanagan, who proved they were swifter and more agile on the court. The second quarter ended 40-21 Heat, with Emily Kanester (1st Year, Vernon BC, Guard) greatly contributing to the Heat effort.
Brandon University slowed the Heat's advance in the third quarter allowing them to only score an additional fourteen points, while the Bobcats tried to close the gap and scored 10 points of their own. Forward Kalee Kartzmark (3rd Year, Winnipeg MB,) helped lead the Bobcat's efforts in the 3rd quarter, which ended 54-31 in the Heat’s favour. UBC Okanagan wrapped up the game in the fourth quarter with a 72-48 win.
Head coach Heather Semeniuk commentated on Brandon's strategy and the Heat's winning effort. "We played against a 2-3 zone the entire game; they didn't pick us up man to man. For a whole game to play like that, it's hard, and it's obvious we need to learn to play better against that kind of strategy and work on our outside shooting game. It showed us that we need to come out and bring our best each time, especially at this level of competition."
For the Heat, fourth year guard Madison Kaneda (Vernon, BC) led her team with 23 points, post Roz Huber (4th year, Kelowna, BC) each dropped in 14. Kaneda and post Audrey Siebert-Timmer (4th year, Calgary, AB) each hauled in six rebounds.
Brandon was led by third year forward Jaynell Gaslard (Bonnyville, AB) who scorched the Heat for 22 points, freshman forward Aimee Johnston (Brandon, MB) led the Bobcats by hauling in 11 boards.
Basketball will take the next few weeks off for the semester break. The next action for the Heat will be in January when they host the University of Manitoba on January 6th at 6 p.m. at UBC’s Okanagan campus. The Bobcats go on to play the University of Regina in Brandon on January 6th at 6 p.m.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Flames welcome offensively challenged Hurricanes
- Mike Morse joins Giants on 1-year contract
- Senators seek redemption with Sabres in town
- Canadiens' road stretch begins in tough Philadelphia
- Own the Podium program to get $37M over 4 years
- Rockets take bite out of Warriors
- Maple Leafs fall to red-hot Kings
- Bartolo Colon agrees to 2-year, $20M deal with Mets: report
- MLB to eliminate collisions at home plate
- Borussia Dortmund, Milan advance in UEFA Champions League
- Lindsey Vonn to skip World Cup stop this weekend
- Michigan Stadium transforms into ice rink
(Click for RSS instructions.)