Heat hoopsters hoping for 1st win
Nov 25, 2011 / 2:00 pm
It was four weeks ago that CIS competition started at the UBC-Okanagan campus when both the men's and women's volleyball teams hosted the University of Winnipeg in the first ever Canada West action.
This weekend, the basketball teams finally get their chance to defend their home court against their Canada West foes.
The women will face a tough test Friday night when they host the undefeated and number one ranked Regina Cougars. After opening the season on the road for two straight weekends, the 0-4 Heat will try to hand the 6-0 Cougars their first loss of the season.
Friday's tip-off is at 6 p.m. On Saturday, the Heat will host the winless (0-6) University of Brandon Bobcats, also at 6 p.m.
The men's squad is also winless after four games on the road, but hope they can get their first wins of the season against a pair of two win teams. Friday they host 2-3 Regina Cougars then on Saturday face the 2-4 Brandon Bobcats. Both games start at 8 p.m. at the UBC-Okanagan campus.
The Volleyball squads are in Langley this weekend. The men have lost three games in a row after starting the year 3-0. Coming off their bye weekend, the 9th ranked Heat will have their hands full as they head to Langley for a weekend set against the defending national champion and current No. 1 ranked Trinity Western Spartans.
The women head into Langley at 2-4, preparing to square off against their fourth straight nationally ranked opponent, the 10th ranked Trinity Western Spartans. The 4-2 Spartans swept the Regina Cougars last weekend.
Action begins for the women Friday at 6 p.m., with the men following at 8 p.m. On Saturday, action starts an hour earlier, with the women 5 p.m. and the men at 7 p.m., in the Langley Events Centre.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- NHL board of governors satisfied with Brendan Shanahan
- Hurricanes will attempt to slow Oilers' Taylor Hall
- High jumper Derek Drouin earns 3 Athletics Canada awards
- Rangers defenceman Marc Staal slowed by concussion
- Georges St-Pierre to announce future plans Friday
- TFC trades goalkeeper Stefan Frei, re-signs Joe Bendik
- Jets hope to snap 3-game home losing skid vs. Blues
- Senators look to consistent Clarke MacArthur vs. Buffalo
- Hockey Night Online: NHL salary cap going up
- Kings find Quick fix ahead of Canadiens matchup
- NFL headshots not going away, study finds
- Leafs' Dion Phaneuf suspended 2 games for Miller hit
(Click for RSS instructions.)