Rockets go local in WHL draft
The Kelowna Rockets didn't stray far from their own backyard when it came time to make their first pick in the annual WHL Bantam Draft.
The Rockets, picking at the end of the first round, selected Kelowna product Jonathan Smart -- a defenceman who played this past season with the Okanagan Hockey Academy in Penticton.
"The thing about Jonathan is his intelligence and play-making ability. He makes excellent decisions with the puck and he competes," said Rockets assistant GM Lorne Frey.
"He's so good offensively; he's another high end offensive guy and I think the defensive side of his game will come. We think his intelligence is as good as anyone out there at this stage and I think we are fortunate to acquire him."
Smart had 42 points in 48 games with OHA this past season.
"I'm so excited," said Smart on learning he had been drafted by his hometown team.
"It's unbelievable. There's no words that can describe it. It's been my dream to play in Kelowna for the Rockets. It's awesome."
Smart said he had heard rumblings he may be taken in the first round of Thursday's draft but expected he would fall to the second round.
He said he's happy to be coming to a team that continues to pump out NHL quality defencemen.
"They are probably in my opinion the team that develops the most d-men and the best d-men like (Duncan) Keith and (Shea) Weber. It's unbelievable."
The Rockets will have to hope for some later round magic if they hope to find some gems to go along with Smart.
Kelowna did not have selections in the second, third, fifth and seventh rounds due to previous deals and had only six picks in the first eight rounds.
They did swing three trades near the end of the draft to pick up two additional selections in the tenth round and an early pick in round 11.
In all, the Rockets drafted 10 players including Smart.
The balance of the players selected include:
- Cooper Haar - left wing (4th round, 73rd overall)
- Jordan Sandhu - centre (4th, 88)
- Conner Bruggen-Cate - left wing (6th, 121)
- Colby Bukes - defenceman (6th, 132)
- Jacob Kennedy - forward (8th, 176)
- David Laurin - right wing (10th, 205)
- Matteo Paler-Chow - goaltender (10th, 218)
- Nick Nordstrom - defenceman (10th, 220)
- Kyle Topping - centre (11th, 226)
A total of 14 players from the Okanagan were selected including eight from Kelowna, two from West Kelowna, one from Vernon and three from Penticton.
Eight players from Kamloops were also selected.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Sports News
- It's decision day for teachersBC - 6:22 am
- Few leads in clubhouse fireWest Kelowna - 9:38 am
- Letter to parentsCentral Okanagan - 6:54 am
- Dog killed in coyote attackPenticton / S. Okanagan - 5:00 am
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.