Rockets clinch WHL title
For the third time in franchise history the Kelowna Rockets will be raising a Western Hockey League regular season championship banner.
The current edition of the Rockets joined the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 clubs as teams which have won regular season title.
The Rockets clinched the title Wednesday with a 4-1 win over the Blazers in Kamloops.
Ryan Olsen scored twice to pace the Rockets attack.
Nick Merkley and Tyrell Goulbourne also scored for the Rockets. Madison Bowey added a pair of assists.
After a scoreless first, Merkley and Olsen scored less than four minutes apart in the second to give Kelowna a 2-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Eric Krienke got one back for the Blazers midway through the third before Goulbourne netted his 17th of the season with less than four minutes left to restore the Rockets two goal cushion.
Olsen's second of the game into an empty net with just over a minute to go sealed the victory.
The Rockets (55-11-0-4) close out the regular season with back-to-back games against the Giants Friday in Vancouver and Saturday back at Prospera Place.
They open up the playoffs the following Saturday when they host Tri-City in game one of their first round best-of-seven series.
Here is the remainder of the first round playoff schedule:
- Game 2: Tri-Cities @ Kelowna Sunday, March 23 5:05
- Game 3: Kelowna @ Tri-Cities Tuesday, March 25 7:05
- Game 4: Kelowna @ Tri-Cities Wednesday, March 26 7:05
- Game 5: Tri-Cities @ Kelowna Friday, March 28 7:05 *
- Game 6: Kelowna @ Tri-Cities Saturday, March 29 7:05 *
- Game 7: Tri-Cities @ Kelowna Tuesday, April 1 7:05 *
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Sports News
- Banished from community?Poll
- Weed oil fire burns twoKelowna
- Rose vows to end wasteMunicipal Elections 2014
- Judge: Banishment OKKamloops
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.