OK Rockets forward US college bound
Oct 23, 2013 / 8:23 pm
Okanagan Rockets forward Liam Finlay has verbally committed to the Denver Pioneers NCAA Division 1 hockey program for the 2016-2017 season.
Okanagan Rockets general manager David Michaud said that this is an exciting time for Finlay and the entire Okanagan Rockets organization.
"Liam's development has progressed rapidly since joining the British Columbia Major Midget League (BCMML) last season as a 15-year-old. We are thrilled to have played a key role in Liam’s progression as a player," says Michaud.
"To have one of our players commit to an elite NCAA Division 1 hockey program early in his second year of midget hockey is a very rare occurrence and speaks to Liam's dedication and perseverance. This is a young player who combines elite skills with a terrific work ethic and is an ambassador for our program.”
In one plus seasons with the Rockets, Finlay has scored 16 goals and 52 assists in just 48 regular season games.
This season, he has 6 goals and 12 assists in 7 games.
Finlay recently committed to play the 2014-15 season with the Penticton Vees of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL). As an affiliated player with the Vees this season, Finlay has one assist in three games.
Finlay says is very excited about his decision to commit to the Pioneers.
"In researching NCAA hockey programs with my family, we felt that the University of Denver (DU) was a model program," says Finlay.
"DU has an excellent reputation both academically and scholastically. I am very interested in their business program and, of course, the long track record of Denver Pioneer hockey success was very appealing.”
The Denver Pioneers men's ice hockey team is an NCAA Division I college hockey program that represents the University of Denver. The Pioneers currently play in the new National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC).
The Pioneers rank second among all US Schools in all-time NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championships with 7, most recently in 2004 and 2005.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Borussia Dortmund, Milan advance in UEFA Champions League
- Lindsey Vonn to skip World Cup stop this weekend
- Michigan Stadium transforms into ice rink
- Patrick Chan eager to put tiring Grand Prix Final behind
- Wild assign Matt Dumba to Canada for world juniors
- Robert Griffin III will sit for rest of season
- Wesley Sneijder, Galatasaray advance in Champions League
- Joffrey Lupul cleared to play for Leafs on Wednesday
- Cowen, Panik get 2-game suspensions from NHL
- Leafs' Jonathan Bernier keen to face Kings
- Did You See That? Panthers put up covered plexiglass
- Rockets road journey begins with win
(Click for RSS instructions.)