Summerland fire 'very scary'
Sep 23, 2012 / 9:32 pm
A forest fire came too close for comfort for a home owner in Summerland.
"We had a fire this afternoon in Garnet Valley. It burned to within about ten feet of our house. Fire crews responded very quickly and it was put out," says Shelly White.
"About two acres were burned, but it was a very scary afternoon for our family."
White says the fire started about 60 metres below her house, by their irrigation system.
"The irrigation line melted right away so we only had our house water to fight the fire with. We assumed a cigarette butt started the fire, but the fire department said probably not."
White says the fire department is coming back tomorrow and she hopes they will be able to tell her more about the cause of the fire.
"I have 30 acres on Wildhorse Road, and I run a breeding farm and currently I have 24 horses that live here. We were so fortunate that our house was not lost. it is amazing that it is still here."
Here is a gallery of photos taken by White.
Summerland forest fire Sept. 23, 2012
Read more South Okanagan News
- Naramata discusses racism May 23
- Head-on crash injures two May 23
- Racism conversation in Naramata May 21
- Oliver upset with Kelowna fire dispatch May 19
- New MLA bids adieu to Oliver council May 15