Cigarette butt possible cause of fire
Jun 21, 2012 / 11:26 am
Nothing official, however, a small forest fire in the Oliver area Wednesday afternoon may have been caused by a discarded cigarette butt.
The fire started at the side of Camp McKinney Road about 3:15 p.m. Wednesday.
Oliver Fire Department spokesman, Spencer Tribbick says while an official cause of the fire has not, and may not be discovered, a discarded butt would be a good guess.
The fire was on a hillside and Tribbick says high winds worked against fire fighters pushing the fire uphill away from the road.
He says there were a few tense moments early on before fire crews were able to get a handle on it.
It took a few hours for crews to get the fire under control at which time Ministry of Forests fire crews arrived to help with the mop-up stage.
As the forests continue to dry out Tribbick says people need to remember to keep cigarette butts inside their vehicles and take care and attention when travelling in the back country.
Read more South Okanagan News
- Oliver upset with Kelowna fire dispatch May 19
- New MLA bids adieu to Oliver council May 15
- Three arrested in drug bust May 15
- Preventive work at Oliver flood zone May 13
- Motorcycle crash kills one near Penticton May 12