Helping people make decisions
How can you help people make decisions if you’re not a decision-maker?
David Sandler believed sales training would have little results if it only concentrated on techniques. It is essential that salespeople have the confidence to use the skills they’ve learned and in a professional way, help the prospect make a buying decision.
To be an active participant in that decision-making process, one has to follow a decision-making system. If you don’t have the system or more importantly the belief and confidence to apply it, you’ll get more stalls, objections and you’ll become frustrated with your selling career.
It’s essential you work to develop:
- Increased self-esteem so you don’t feel awkward asking well crafted questions.
- Recognizing alternatives and realizing that not every prospect is the same. Your ability to recognize the prospect’s communication style will allow you to develop a one-on-one personal relationship.
- Removing inhibitions and paralysis will help you stop procrastinating and justifying it. But it’s not easy. You have to strengthen your ‘gut’ system to become mentally and emotionally tough.
- Removing our blinders that cause you to stay with a non-opportunity too long. This only lengthens the selling cycle and stops you from moving on to better opportunities.
- Owning your decisions is a big part of success. Learn to recognize what’s best for you, your company and the prospect. It may not be “no” forever, but if it’s “no” now, say “thank you” and move on to someone who may say “yes.”
If fear of failure stops you from making decisions and moving forward, it will stop the decision process in the sale. The prospect will be undecided and if you accept their lack of decision conviction, you’ll have wasted their time with a selling process that is unproductive.
Copyright 2012 Sandler Training and Insight Sales Consulting Inc. All rights reserved.
John Glennon is the owner of Insight Sales Consulting Inc, the authorized Sandler Training Licensee for the Interior of British Columbia. He can be reached at [email protected], toll free at 1-866-645-2047 or view his website at www.glennon.sandler.com
Read more Sales Meeting Minute articles
- Time spent prospecting Apr 17
- Achieve your resolutions Feb 20
- Are you ready? Jan 16
- A time to sell...a time to tell Dec 15
- The close Nov 12
- Customers are always prospects! Oct 17
- Ancora Imparo Sep 17
- Who wrote this script? Jul 23
(Click for RSS instructions.)