Are you looking to clean up your act this year? The running joke about New Year’s resolutions is that they don’t last. In fact, most people seem to forget about them after just a few months. The resolutions we make at the beginning of the year are often unrealistic or unachievable, so why not resolve to make a change that is easy, manageable, and full of benefits you can reap all year long?
A new year means a chance to start over. If you haven’t already added de-cluttering to your list of resolutions, don’t worry, because it’s never too late to start!
The best part about a de-cluttering resolution is that you’ll be able to immediately see results. Your living space will look better and bigger, and you’ll feel so good you might even take on some other challenges that have been waiting in the wings.
Why is de-cluttering a good resolution?
There are numerous benefits to de-cluttering. Here are our top five:
1. More space. To put it simply, less stuff equals more space. Think of it this way: there’s no reason to be surrounded by things that don’t work, that you don’t need, or that you don’t even like. By getting rid of clutter, it will allow you to have more space in your home that you can enjoy.
2. More time. Having more time is one of the most important benefits of de-cluttering. Just think of the free time you’ll have, now that you aren’t organizing and maintaining your unnecessary stuff. Spend that time on something you love instead!
3. More freedom. Having less clutter in your home will allow you to clean more quickly and with ease. De-cluttering will also reduce dust collection, making it easier to reach all those hidden areas while you’re cleaning.
4. More productivity. The positive energy you’ll gain with a clutter-free home will give you one less thing to worry about and allow you to focus on your everyday tasks. Your living space reflects your state of mind: the more cluttered the space, the more cluttered your thoughts may be.
5. More gratitude. Owning less stuff will make you appreciate and value what you already have.
How do I start?
We recommend tackling one room at a time. As soon as you enter a room, take a quick look around and ask yourself the following questions:
- How does the room look at first glance? Can you open drawers, closets, etc. and easily find the items you are looking for?
- Do you waste time looking for things, or buy items you already have because you can’t find what you were looking for?
- Do you think you need a bigger room because you are running out of space?
- Are there any items that you haven’t used in the last year? Or worse…several years?
If you answered “yes” to at least one of the questions above, then it’s time to reclaim the square footage in your home and de-clutter!
How to make your resolution stick
Clutter is stubborn, and here’s a warning: it can easily sneak back into your life! In order to make your resolution stick, it’s important to always keep de-cluttering top of mind; never let clutter pile up, and as soon as you see something that is ‘out of place’ be sure to act quickly!
The first three or four weeks might be a little difficult, but after the first month, you’ll be over the hump. De-cluttering shouldn’t take over your life, but junk shouldn’t either. The sooner you start, the better.