A very unhappy birthday to me
It's almost my birthday. I couldn't be less thrilled. I'm not exactly a fan of my birthday. If possible, I would love to skip the day entirely. Why do I need to celebrate the fact that I made it one more time around the sun? Is it supposed to be some kind of reward for not dying? I guess that's an accomplishment of sorts, but is it really worthy of cake? Not in my opinion.
Speaking of cake, given the recent onslaught of forest fires it was suggested that I refrain from lighting an accurate account of candles on my cake for fear that it might cause the fire department to deploy a water bomber to my house. I told that person to just start running.
Oh birthday, how do I hate thee, let me count the ways.
1. Every 5th one I have to renew my driver’s license, and who doesn't love a day at the DMV? I get my prison headshot taken by someone even more bitter than me and sometimes, I even get to pay outstanding speeding tickets! Good times.
2. People tell me hysterical jokes, like asking me what it was like before indoor plumbing and if I had a pet dinosaur. The answer is yes and he’s hungry so come on over.
3. You hear things like, "Wow, you look good for your age!" What is that supposed to mean? How is that even a compliment? It's really just a reminder of how someday, very soon, I will appear exactly right for my age. It's already starting, and I'm mostly held together at this point with smoke and mirrors. Gravity is yanking on me so hard that it won't be too long until I'll have to seriously consider putting parts of me on LoJack.
4. People buy me gifts. Things I wouldn't buy for myself. Mostly because I wouldn't want them, and I have taste. My husband bought be a vacuum cleaner for one birthday and it sucked.
5. One time back when I was single my girlfriends took me to a bar for my birthday. It was ladies night, and I saw things that can't ever be unseen; believe me, I've tried. My therapist believes that in time I'll make a full recovery, but it's been over twenty years so I'm starting to think she might be wrong.
It's not that I mind getting older given that the alternative is death, but there comes a time when your closer to the end than the beginning and it starts to get real. So keep your hollow happy birthday greetings, questionable gifts, and cakes that depict towering infernos. If you want to know what I want this year for my birthday it's pretty simple, a little peace, a lot of quiet, and a number for a good plastic surgeon.
Read more Random Rants articles
- The bad news: I'm not sick anymore Oct 18
- If you don't have a plan Oct 4
- The Universe loves to laugh...at me Sep 20
- For whom does the school bell toll? Sep 6
- Call a medic, I've woken but I can't get up Aug 23
- Life is short...my blood pressure is what? Aug 9
- A very unhappy birthday to me Jul 26
- The day my GPS tried to kill me Jul 12
(Click for RSS instructions.)