Site for West Kelowna Civic Centre?
As promised, West Kelowna's new Civic Centre will be built in Westbank Centre.
Council announced late Tuesday it had shortlisted the choice to four locations - two on Elliott Road, one on Brown Road and one on Main Street.
All are within a few blocks of each other.
The four finalists were determined after the municipality launched a Request For Qualifications process in November 2013.
The four proponents will now proceed to the Request for Proposals stage.
The four proponents will be asked to submit proposals for the design and construction of a West Kelowna Municipal Hall/Civic Centre. These include:
- Town Centre Partners Group – relating to 3656 Brown Road
- New Town/Sturgess Group – relating to 3641 Elliott Road
- Maple Reinders Group – relating to 3717 Elliott Road with secured purchase agreement for adjacent sites at 2495 Main Street and 3711 Elliott Road
- Total Concept Group – relating to 2528 Main Street
The Main Street location is what is commonly known as the old Cattle Country strip mall near the edge of downtown.
The District received nine submissions to its call for Request For Qualifications.
Submissions were evaluated based on project team members, experience in design and construction, site location and financial capacity. A score was assigned with the highest scoring proponents being selected.
The next step in the process will begin in February 2014 with the release of a conceptual design Request For Proposal to the approved shortlist of proponents.
The objective of this stage is to select a preferred proponent from the list of pre-qualified candidates. The short-listed candidates will prepare detailed technical and financial proposals.
The proposals would then be evaluated against a set of predetermined evaluation criteria and a preferred proponent would be selected by Council.
The District has agreed to pay an honorarium of up to $25,000 to each of the proponents that are unsuccessful in receiving a future construction contract to offset the significant cost of preparing detailed proposals.
The District of West Kelowna currently operates offices out of 2760 Cameron Road, a community hall at the Mt. Boucherie complex, as well as offices on Elliott Road and Bartley Road.
In 2012, an architectural firm was hired to review the current office space and analyze future requirements. The study found that the current facility was at capacity.
The District conducted a Market Sounding exercise beginning in March 2013, inviting stakeholders in the community to respond to a series of considerations for the development of the Municipal Hall/Civic Centre. On June 18, Council agreed that options for a future civic centre be investigated in the Westbank area of the municipality.
The West Kelowna Municipal Hall/Civic Centre project has the following objectives:
- Provide interior workspace that promotes increased performance, efficiency and comfort in a cost effective and efficient way
- Promote a civic and commercial centre for West Kelowna
- Reinforce the land use, growth management and economic development goals of the DWK
- Communicate the civic nature of any new building, and underscore the appropriate role of government in the District of West Kelowna
- Provide economic development opportunities for other commercial and residential development
- Generally adhere to the design guidelines associated with the DWK Official Community Plan and Westbank Centre Revitalization Plan.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Email us [email protected]
- 3 bears put downPenticton / S. Okanagan - 11:01 am
- Stabbing - four injuredCanada - 6:43 am
- Backpack dropper arrestedWorld - 6:58 am
- Mass murder in CalgaryCanada