Friday, October 24th6.2°C
23840
22921

Burning bedding sparks scare

An elderly woman was hospitalized after a fire broke out in her Penticton apartment late Monday night.

The blaze started around 11:44 p.m. in the unit on the third floor of the apartment complex at 241 Scott Ave.

Two fire trucks with three firefighters on each responded to the fire, believed to be caused by the person who lived in the unit smoking.

The mattress and papers on the nightstand initially caught fire. There was some smoke damage and damage caused by use of the fire extinguisher.

The woman was expected to be released from hospital Tuesday morning. She will be put up by emergency social services, said Deputy Fire Chief Dave Spalding.

The manager at the apartments did not allow media to enter the building.

Karen Wells, a woman who lives there, said she heard the fire was caused by someone smoking in bed.
It was her understanding the manager rushed up and put out the fire, which was burning the woman's quilt.

“It was very frightening, when you are afraid everything will go up in smoke", she said. “It’s the worst thing you can do is smoke in bed.”



Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News

23854


Recent Trending



20008



23433






Castanet pays for news tips. Email us a news tip, photo, or video and your name will be in a draw for our weekly news tip prize $25. Email us [email protected]



22804


Penticton SPCA Featured Pet

Dart
Dart Penticton SPCA >



22804




South Okanagan Quick Links City of Penticton
Penticton Tourism
Penticton Transit
Okanagan Falls
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Interior Health
Okanagan College
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley



Member of BC Press Council


23717