Penticton & South Okanagan News
TEDx is coming to Penticton
A writer and certified laughter leader, physicist, chef and longevity expert are among the presenters at TEDxPenticton this Saturday.
Now in its second year, the focus of TEDx will be “where do we go from here” from a multidisciplinary perspective.
“It is looking at the future from 10 different sets of eyes,” said organizer Brian Hughes. “And one of the most important elements is the attendees, because the event tends to attract open minded folks.”
It was Hughes, who held the Philosopher’s Café for many years, and his friend Nikos Theodosakis, organizer of the Beach Blanket Film Festival, who decided to do the first TEDx in Penticton last year.
Held in the new Centre of Excellence at Okanagan College its theme was beyond sustainability. This year’s is more of a true TED event.
TED, which stands for technology, entertainment and design, is a nonprofit event started in 1984 as a conference to bring people from those worlds together.
In addition to the eclectic group of speakers, there will be several musicians on hand.
Here is a look at the line-up:
- Dorothy Tinning – visual artist
- Dr. Tom Landecker – Principal research officer, Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory
- Dr. Donald McLeod – Longevity specialist
- Derek Evans – International development
- Chris Remington – Passionate chef
- Jessie Campbell – CEO Penticton and Wine Country Tourism
- Neal Carter - Okanagan Specialty Fruits
- Tom Lowry – Pacific Agri-Food Research Centre
- Hugh McLelland – Writer
- Robert Bettauer – Sport performance expert PISE
- Henry Piovesan and his B3 Hammond organ
- Bobby Bovenzi and his drum circle
- Beamer Wiggly, a 9-year-old singer/songwriter
- Musician Thomas Tumbach
- Singer Saige Carlson
The event will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Penticton Lakeside Resort. Tickets cost $65 and there are a limited number remaining. To attend, click here.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
- Snowbirds hit townKelowna - 10:25 am
- Pilot out of hospitalVernon / N. Okanagan - 1:20 pm
- Highway closed north of VernonVernon / N. Okanagan - 7:33 pm
- Wildfire doused quicklyCentral Okanagan - 4:28 pm
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley