Update: 6:53 p.m.
Kevin Proteau of Locals Supporting Locals will be holding a last minute press conference, Monday, on the steps of Penticton's city hall regarding Three Mile Beach.
Locals Supporting Locals believes in community and more importantly believes in standing up and speaking out for our rights and freedoms, says Proteau.
All who feel the same are asked to support the conference at 5:30 p.m.
The purpose of the press conference is to present to the public both sides of the Three Mile beach issue. Not much has been said from people who are naturists that do partake in the lifestyle because of the bullying that has taken place in the past year to two years, according to Proteau.
Another goal of the conference is to work together on having further meetings with City Council, the PHA, chamber and local businesses regarding revenue brought in by having Penticton as an" International Naturists Tourist Destination," Proteau added.
Concerned neighbours plan to give a presentation on Three Mile Beach usage at Penticton's council meeting, Monday.
The subject to be discussed by Cary Pinkowski, who owns private property next to the public beach, and others, is illegal activities at the beach.
Council has also been given a letter from one of the neighbours, which states in part: "I am writing about the ongoing nudity and sexual activity problems on Three Mile Public Beach. My family, friends, as well as the neighbourhood are very concerned about illegal activities that have been taking place on the public beach."
The letter further states: "We have a petition with over 200 signatures from local people and I think most importantly 98 per cent of the people who live and own homes on Three Mile Road do not want the nudity to be allowed."
The beach has been known as an unofficial clothing optional destination for decades, but naturists moved to the public beach last summer, when no trespassing signs went up on the portion they used.
Since then a website, 3milebeach.com, has gone up, showing people allegedly walking past no trespassing signs and around fences.
The main spokesman for the naturists could not be reached for comment.
But Rick Giles, a neighbour who lives on Three Mile Road, said the people pictured on the website are victims, many of whom he knows for a fact are not naturist or nudists.
According to Giles, a sprinkler system was set up above the beach in early September and ran around the clock for several days.
"Most of the people pictured, wandered over to look at the land slump that was occurring on the property," he said. "You can see the mud at their feet and most are looking up hill at the larger land slump (slide) that was being triggered."
He added that the sign that advises people they are being photographed and videoed went up on the property on Nov. 9, 2014, long after those images on the website were captured.
"Currently 3milebeach.com is asking the public’s assistance to identify the “nudists, trespassers”, etc," he said. "Two of the people pictured on the site are known to me to be residents and owners in the strip of six homes above three mile beach. (neither of them are naturist)."
In response, to the ongoing dispute, the naturists have also started an online petition at the 3 Mile Clothing Optional Beach Facebook page.
Both the Penticton RCMP and council are aware of the matter.
"The neighbours have never formally come to city council before to raise their concerns, and they wanted to come now before the summer season begins," said Mayor Andrew Jakubeit. "The delegation, Monday, is merely to start the process of introducing it to council."