Penticton and South Okanagan
Assault rifle seized
Sep 16, 2013 / 1:35 pm
A prolific offender was captured in Penticton last week. RCMP also seized a 9mm handgun, a semi-automatic assault rifle, a sack full of ammunition and various drugs during the arrest.
Andrew Robert Hardenstine was arrested on Sept. 11 at an apartment building in the 100 block of Roy Avenue. He was seen entering the building with a rifle, draped in a cloth, sticking out of his backpack. When he left the building a short time later, officers closed in, but Hardenstine attempted to flee on a motorcycle.
An officer was able to knock over the bike and Hardenstine was arrested with the help of several members of the RCMP – one of whom broke their wrist during the arrest.
A search warrant of Hardenstine’s apartment led to the arrest of a 40-year-old Penticton woman and the seizure of drug trafficking paraphernalia, a small amount of meththamphetamine and approximately 800 ml of GHB.
The items seized from Hardenstine and his backpack include:
- An SKS semi automatic assault rifle with a folding stock
- A loaded 9mm handgun with laser sight and silencer capabilities
- A plastic bottle containing approximately 100 ml of GHB
- 50 shotgun shells, 73 - 9mm rounds, and 10 long gun rifle rounds
Investigators have also confirmed that the motorcycle driven by Hardenstine was stolen from McLure BC.
Hadernstine is facing 11 charges and has been remanded into custody for a court appearance.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
City of Penticton
Penticton Discussion Forum
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
- Firefighters lend a Helping Hand Dec 19
- Plastic bag initiative to continue Dec 19
- Penticton settles on 2 per cent tax hike Dec 18
- Thieves hit mail boxes in the Oliver area Dec 18
- Take a look at Penticton's new theatre Dec 17
- Petition presented on bike lanes Dec 17
- Gallagher Lake residents voice concerns Dec 17