A grassfire threatened a housing complex on Balsam Avenue behind Wiltse Elementary School on Thursday afternoon.
Fire chief Wayne Williams said there were unconfirmed reports the fire was human caused.
A couple of witnesses said a man apparently threw a cigarette butt which ignited the dry grass between the field of Wiltse Elementary and the Ashbury housing development on Balsam Avenue.
The man appeared to try and stomp out the smouldering grass, failed, and ran.
Penticton Fire Department responded and soon controlled the blaze. The burn reached within a few feet of the fence below the Ashbury housing development.
There were no injuries and no buildings are currently threatened.