Penticton & South Okanagan News
Jura fire 150 hectares
UPDATE 12:20 P.M.
The Jura fire, burning west of Princeton-Summerland is now over 150 hectares in size.
The evacuation alert remains in effect for 606 properties in the area (see full details below).
Barbara Crawford lives beside Chain Lake and is in the evacuation zone. She says she rushed home yesterday afternoon and has been getting ready to evacuate ever since.
“I have just been at home packing. Photographs, pictures, clothes. My home is full of garbage bags full of stuff we want to take, just waiting to see,” says Crawford. “If we need to go we are ready.”
She says the ranching community has a large horse population, and owners are scrambling to get their livestock somewhere safe.
“People are getting their horses out of there, getting them brought into town there, into the fair grounds or people that have corrals, just to be on the safe side,” says Crawford.
Both her husband and daughter work at the local mill and they are back at work today, but ready to leave at any moment. She has also heard that local loggers are being utilized to fight the fire.
“You know living at Chain Lake, seeing it myself, as well as being a realtor here, it is pretty scary stuff,” says Crawford.
Ground crews and air tankers are back on the scene fighting the fire Thursday.
We will have more details as the become available.
Send photos and video to [email protected]
Fire dangers have led to an evacuation alert for the Princeton-Summerland Road area.
The Regional District of the Okanagan-Similkameen has issued the alert due to an interface fire, and because of the potential danger to life and health of nearby residents.
The alert is for the following areas, but not limited to:
115 to 131 Augur Road, 112 Bankeir Place, 105 to 136 Country Lane, 120 to 145 Jellico Road, 4067 to 4131 Lakesyde Road, 150 to 223 Lakeview Road, 113 to 117 Lee CK PL, 102 to 272 Link Lake Road, 4088 to 4116 Meadow Cres, 114 to 126 Muskoka Road, 131 and 143 Osprey Place, 110 to 231 Pinewood Drive, 143 Jellicoe Road, 1556 to 4600 Princeton-Summerland Road, 1364 to 1862 Shinish Creek Road, 118 to 149 Tee Pee Lakes Place and 186 Trout Main FSR Road.
This means residents should be prepared to evacuate their homes or property if it becomes necessary.
The RDOS says they will give everyone as much advance notice as possible prior to an evacuation, but some people may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
In the event of an evacuation, a reception area for residents to report will be identified and announced at that time.
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for a potential evacuation order by:
- Locating all family members or co-workers and proceed to the designated reception area outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
- Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, reception areas will be opened if required.
- Monitoring news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of reception areas.
For more information contact: www.rdos.bc.ca
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
- Storm kills powerCentral Okanagan - 9:21 pm
- Hwy closed east of SicamousBC - 10:23 pm
- Storm photo galleryCentral Okanagan - 4:44 pm
- Rain shuts down cityKamloops - 4:15 pm
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley