Penticton & South Okanagan News
Bobbitt statement heard
The court heard a statement by David Bobbitt regarding an alleged victim of a sexual assault on the second day of his dangerous offender hearing, Tuesday in Penticton.
In the statement given to Cst. Mike Desmond, regarding the incident that took place several years ago, Bobbitt claimed many times he would not intentionally hurt her.
He claimed that he was so drunk that he lost a lot of the time frame of when this happened, and that there was no forced sex, that she was the first to crawl on to him.
As far as an injury the woman sustained to her nose, he said he did remember when her nose was bleeding, but he didn't remember if it was from the night before.
When asked questions about choking the woman, Bobbitt at first said he held the victim tight, but not tight enough to choke her.
The woman did make a noise implying he was choking her, he said, but he didn't think he did that, because that's not something he would do.
"I think I've been accused of something that's gone way too far," he said.
During the line of questioning, Desmond told Bobbitt that the victim's injuries were consistent with all she said, but that he, Bobbitt, was not telling the truth.
A second constable who entered the room, said he had been monitoring what was said and Bobbitt was not telling the truth at all.
That constable warned him, to not do himself a disservice, that the evidence is black and white.
At that point, Bobbitt said, "I might as well admit to it, let God take control of it. God himself knows."
He added that things got carried away, that he did not hit her or force himself on her.
During questioning of Desmond, Tuesday, by crown counsel Nashina Devji, he said after he arrested Bobbitt, he did make some disclosure saying, "he didn't do it and was being set up."
During questioning by defence lawyer James Pennington, the constable said his task would have been to arrest Bobbitt and transfer him to the detachment.
When asked by Pennington about the presence of two drinks, the constable said he might have smelled the odour of liquor.
Cpl. Jason Burndred also took the stand Tuesday morning. He was expected to give further testimony during the afternoon.
Information on when this alleged victim would testify and whether it would be by closed circuit TV was not available Tuesday morning. She was slated to begin testimony early in the hearing. There is a publication ban in place on any information identifying this victim.
An application was approved Monday, allowing the victim of a 2011 incident in Penticton to testify via closed circuit TV.
Her testimony is expected at a later date.
Bobbitt was charged with a violent assault on that young woman at Dave's Second Hand Store in Penticton in 2011.
Her toddler was found unharmed nearby.
He pleaded guilty to all seven of the counts he was facing in April of 2013.
There is tight security in place during the current proceedings, but so far there has been no sign of trouble.
Bobbitt has sat quietly, showing little emotion, during the hearing.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
- Campfire ban liftedCentral Okanagan - 8:58 pm
- National Guard leaves FergusonWorld - 9:21 pm
- 22,322 missing since 2006World - 7:52 pm
- Dog used as lure to kidnapWorld - 7:14 pm
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley