Penticton & South Okanagan News
What bugs you Summerland?
Okanagan College is doing a voluntary survey of residents to better understand the sterile insect release program.
The SIR program is partially funded by a Regional District residential land value tax. The land tax levy is approximately $10.50 per year for a typical residence in the Okanagan/Similkameen/Shuswap region. Residents of the regional district derive many benefits from their support of the SIR program, such as:
- Cash savings for residents that no longer have to hire commercial pesticide services to spray their home apple (including ornamental crab apple) and pear trees.
- Improved health due to a reduction in the amount of pesticides in the environment, and from the handling of these pesticides.
- A reduction in pesticide residues found in locally produced produce.
- Protection of household pets, livestock, wildlife, and beneficial insects, such as honey bees, that might otherwise be harmed by the use of pesticides.
- A reduction of pesticide spray drift onto neighbouring residential properties.
The survey can be found here.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
- BC likes to stay activeKelowna
- First Ebola case in the USWorld
- Distracted driving talesVernon / N. Okanagan
- Canadian dies in avalancheWorld
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley